Sunday, April 29, 2012

Budget Friendly Cinco De Mayo Layered Casserole

One evening, my husband was in the mood for Mexican, but we were crunched for cash. We decided to raid the pantry instead of going out to dinner. I didn't have a recipe for this casserole at the time. Instead, I decided to throw together things I thought would compliment each other. It has turned out to be one of our regulars, and best of all, the ingredients are things we always have one hand....Left overs are amazing!

What you'll need: (it's very simple to remember because it's pretty much two of everything.)
  • 2 or 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked minute rice
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 2 cans of black beans
  • 2 cans enchilada sauce
  • 1 or 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (depending on how creamy you like your casseroles...I prefer 2)
  • 8 oz of sour cream
  • 16 oz bag of shredded cheese (whatever you have on hand)
  • taco seasoning



Cook rice according to directions. Cook chicken on the stove top and cube. Add taco seasoning with a couple tablespoons of water and simmer until seasoning thickens. Spray large glass pan with cooking spray and layer rice on the bottom. Pour two cans of enchilada sauce over the rice.


Drain and rinse black beans, pour over rice.



In a large mixing bowl, stir together chicken, soup, and sour cream. Spread mixture over bean layer.



Top with cheese and diced tomatoes (and any of your other favorite Mexican toppings).

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes so everything can get all gooey, thickened, and cheesy! Remove the foil for last 5 minutes.



This casserole is something your whole family will enjoy! The meal costs between $10 and $15 depending what your grocery store has on sale at the time, and serves up to 8! That's a little over a dollar per person! Sometimes to make it even healthier, I use brown rice instead of white rice. Shhh...don't tell my husband...he still doesn't know ;-)


Happy Kraftin!

17 comments:

  1. This looks delish! And I love me a good budget recipe :) Gotta Pin it.. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm always looking for easy peasy recipes on a dime. :)

    Following you back from Mom's Monday Mingle. Thank you for joining us! :) Jessica @ http:www.athometake2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy! I love throw together recipes like this. I'm your newest follower. :) I found you through the Sunday blog stalk. www.love-and-laundry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! My husband loves mexican food, and this seems like something easy I can just throw together! thanks for sharing.

    taylorandchandra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! looks awesome! thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Follower from the Mom's Monday Mingle Blog Hop!

    http://www.addictedreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the best recipes are created by raiding the pantry. This looks terrific! Hopping over from Judy's creative Monday. I'm your newest follower. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    New follower from the blog hop please come follow me back :)
    http://lifewithtwinsandadramaqueen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :) I found you through blog hop. would you like to follow each other? :)

    http://yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following back, posted on your blog :-)

      Delete
    2. thank you, i use curling iron, faster results ;)

      Delete
  10. This looks delicious!


    I found you via the 99% exposure weekday blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this and it is a new family favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That looks awesome! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to add to my meal plan..that I'll hopefully get up on my blog some day.. Stopped by from the Mom's Monday Mingle. Pop by and say hi! http://todolistmom.blogspot.ca/2012/05/everyday-mamarazzi.html

    ReplyDelete