Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chicken, Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Red Pepper Salad

I have to say I'm a huge fan of goat cheese. I love the tartness and tangy flavor it has, especially when paired with chicken. Hubby and I enjoy eating healthy (bread/pasta-less) foods. We somewhat live by the Paleo diet (also known as the "Caveman Diet"). For those of you who don't know what it consists of, check out this site with a list of foods recommended...I do have to say my body feels SO much better after being on it for about 5 months now. All of my post baby weight is gone (and then some), and no bloating! We do allow ourselves some wiggle room. We are not super strict with avoiding everything the plan says to avoid. Since I am still breastfeeding, I do like to get my daily recommended dairy for the extra calcium. But for the most part, we do pretty well with it.

With that being said, here is the concoction I came up with last night while trying to empty out the fridge: Chicken, bacon, goat cheese and red pepper salad.


It was so filling and had such a unique flavor with the combinations of salty, sweet, tangy and savory. Hubby wants this one on the regular household menu. (Yesss!!! Love when it turns out good) I didn't have a recipe or anything, just paired up some things I thought would compliment each other. I feel like I could be on the next episode of "Iron Chef"...lol.

Here is a list of ingredients I used:
  • 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (seasoned with Italian spices)
  • About 8 of those mini red peppers, sliced and sauteed (Or some of the roasted ones in the jar) 
  • Chopped red onion (raw-just a little to sprinkle over the top)
  • 4 strips of bacon, crumbled
  • Goat cheese (to crumble over top)
  • 1 Bag of Italian lettuce mix (or whatever greens you like)
  • Balsamic Italian Vinaigrette
  • And just about anything else you like to use for salad toppers...if I had dried cranberries in the pantry, you bet I would've put those on it too!
You don't have to be on a diet to love this salad. It's super filling and easy to make. I'm all about meals that accomplish both! Thanks for stopping by, if anyone tries it, let me know how it turned out.

Happy Kraftin!

7 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks awesome, Meg! I'm very excited that we have all of the ingredients for this salad in our fridge :) Can't wait to make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks DELICIOUS!!! I can't wait to try that!

    stopping by from the GFC blog hop and so glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth just watered. That looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! I found you via the hop and I’m your newest adoring follower! Maybe you could follow back? Also I’d just love for you to come check out a giveaway I’m having that ends tomorrow!! Hope to see you there!

    Thanks so much!
    Xo, Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/06/sponsord-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks tasty! I'll have to make this for my fiance sometime! Just found you through the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! Found you on GFC...your newest follower...I'm over at www.theredheadedprincess.com

    ReplyDelete