Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Lettuce Wrapped Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Slaw

I have never been to California before, but I hear that most of their cuisine is on the fresher side. Since Hubby and I are still sticking to the Paleo diet, we wanted something this 4th of July that could give us that California freshness with a healthy attitude. We love, love, love tacos! So I wanted to create something that could give us a taco-feel without the taco shell and cheese....tear...:*(. So what to use? Lettuce! I have seen many versions of lettuce wraps and have never tried them myself. First time for everything....and boy did we hit the jack pot! Hubby will eat anything, except cole slaw....he despises it. So he was skeptical when I said, "oh but you will love mine!" Here are a list of ingredients I used to make our meal:


  • 1 bag of cole slaw mix
  • 2-3 TBSP mayo (depending on how "wet" you like it)
  • 2 TBSP lime juice
  • 3 oz reduced fat sour cream
  • 2 stalks chopped green onions
  • fresh cilantro (chopped)
  • 40 shrimp (I used precooked frozen ones because they were on sale at my grocery store, but you can always use fresh...make sure to peel and devein them)
  • 2 TBSP butter, melted to coat shrimp
  • Head of Iceburg lettuce
  • 2 TBSP (or more depending on your taste) Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning (salt free!!) used in slaw
  • Weber Mango Lime seasoning, used on shrimp 

Mix cabbage mixture, mayo, sour cream, lime juice, chipotle seasoning, cilantro, and green onions in a large bowl. 




No one likes soggy slaw! Here is a close up of what a good slaw looks like. There is no liquid when pushed aside.



I skewered the precooked shrimp and put them on the grill for only 5-7 minutes to get that grill char that everyone loves. Once it was on the grill, I basted with the melted butter/mango lime seasoning. Yum!


Line your lettuce wrap with slaw and shrimp and sprinkle with a little extra fresh cilantro.




Wrap, and viola!

Hubby and I calculated the calories. We each had two wraps. Both were about 350-400 calories all together! You can't beat a dinner under 500 calories!! It was very filling and full of protein too! Most importantly, I made a slaw-lover out of Hubby. :)

Happy Kraftin!

22 comments:

  1. My husband is on a healthier eating kick too. He used to love fish tacos, so I wonder if he would eat these? They sound really good (minus the cilantro, we don't like it here lol) so I'll be showing this recipe to him.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens I just got soooo hungry this looks great and what a cute blog

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great!! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower from the GFC Blog hop!!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog through Blog Love Therapy blog hop. I just followed you may be could follow each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks sooooo yummy!!

    Stopping by from the GFC Blog Hop :) new follower!

    xoxo
    Anni // http://grapefruitprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Visiting you from the GFC blog hop. This is such a great link up to find great blogs! I am now following you via GFC and would love to get to connect with you more. That meal looks and sounds amazing! Under 500 calories, what? lol
    I do have a giveaway going on right now that is for a great cause. I would love for you to come over and enter the giveaway and read an awesome story by one of my readers who is making a big difference in kid's lives. You can enter at http://dalaynadillon.blogspot.com/2012/10/coffee-for-cause.html
    I look forward to keeping up with your blog and hearing from ya soon! Have a terrific Tuesday :D
    Dalayna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day Megan! I found you through the Friends to Followers Blog Hop ^^ I took a look around your blog and liked it a lot so I'm now following you : )
    Hope you can visit my blog too and have a look. xx
    n o i r e d a m e

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog! Im following from the blog hop!!

    www.delabelle-k.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Megan,
    Have you kept up with the Paleo diet? I'm curious if its been good for you. I'm always looking for ways to eat healthier and shed a few pounds. I am a new folloer from the friends to followers hop. If you like photography, you should check out my blog. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm still doing the paleo diet. It's easily become a lifestyle for us. We occasionally have a pasta or bread night, but always go back. :) thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your blog too.

      Delete
  10. Oh my! You have my mouth watering those look soo good!

    Found you threw the followers to friends hop :)

    Ashley
    Beauty Flawed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower from the GFC blog hop!

    You certainly found a way to work around the no cheese and shell bit! These look delicious! Normally I would balk at a meal with no cheese, but you made this one look delicious! I'm pinning for later because my husband LOVES shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look lovely I might even try them its made me hungry :-P I'm a new follower from the chaos hop looking forward to your posts .

    http://charliesandharrysdaddy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look divine!! And I am loving the subway art down below too!

    I just found your cute blog through the hop! I am your newest follower and I am excited to read more about you. Would love for you to stop by and follow along if you'd like :)

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious!! I am definitely going to be making these! I have been on the hunt for yummy, lo-cal dinner ideas! Thank you for sharing!

    New follower from the blog hop!
    Leslie @ Sincerely, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi there! I saw your blog on GFC blog hop and I'm now following you! I hope you follow my blogs as well... cheers!

    www.citybehindthefog.blogspot.com
    www.officiallygirlyfied.blogspot.com
    www.psychochicklessons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't do shrimp but OMG this looks yummy!!! The coleslaw alone looks amazing but wrapping it up in lettuce makes it feel like more of a meal. I found you via the GFC bloghop, hope you'll follow back :o)
    http://www.twenty5seven.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! That looks really good!!
    Dropping by from the GFC blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! the title of this post alone made me starving! i love your blog and am your newest follower! come follow along at chaseandem.blogspot.com XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog you have here hun! New follower from BlogLoveTherapy. Would love if you'd check out my blog sometime ^_^

    Steps To Perfection...With Romanianbutterfly206

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this looks delicious!!
    You have a lovely blog! :)

    Natasha Carly x
    http://prettylittlelives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete