Monday, November 5, 2012

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll




Hubby BEGS for this sweet treat multiple times a year. My response is, "wait until November." I only make this dish once a year. I do this because it keeps him (and others) wanting it year after year. If I made it every month, it wouldn't make us think of the festive fall season we love so much! So in honor of the first week of November I surprised him with his favorite fall recipe, pumpkin cream cheese roll. I got the recipe from my Mom ("thanks Ma!"). She makes it every year too. It's a family favorite! I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, so I was skeptical the first time I tried it, but this recipe definitely makes the taste buds dance!

Below are a list of ingredients you will need to make the entire dish (sorry some ingredients didn't make it into the picture, but I listed them):



(This recipe makes two rolls! One for you, and one to bring to a friend or family member's house during Thanksgiving)

Ingredients for the cake
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 can pumpkin (Libby's)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 eggs
  • chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
  • powdered sugar
  • parchment paper (not wax paper! It gets smokey in the oven...found that out the hard way my first time making it haha....rookie mistake...good thing my husband is a firefighter)
Ingredients for the filling
  • 2 packs 8 oz cream cheese
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 12 TBSP butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs and sugar with a mixer.  Add pumpkin mix and rest of dry ingredients.





Pour half on baking sheet lined with parchment. I usually sprinkle nuts on one and leave one without. A girl's gotta have options! Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes.



While the cake part is baking, get a clean kitchen towel out, lay it on the counter and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Once the pumpkin cake is done, flip it over onto the towel with paper side up. Peel the paper off right away (it should come off very easily).




Roll it up in the towel and it cool on wire racks.




Now for the filling. Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients for the filling and mix well.





Gently unroll the towel, add cream cheese filling to cake.



Roll back up, removing the towel.



Wrap in parchment paper or saran wrap and refrigerate. When it's ready to serve, I like to add a little more powdered sugar over the top to make it look pretty. 


And there ya have it! Let me know if you decide to try it, and how it turns out! It's great to bring to functions or a dinner party.

Happy Kraftin!

11 comments:

  1. YUM! I love pumpkin rolls, but I can't bake anything because our kitchen is too small haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good.

    julie @ Naptime Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinning this recipe. I love pumpkin flavored sweet more than anything else this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm looks AMAZING! And I'm totally jealous of your kitchenaid mixer- I've always wanted one. Just wanted to thank you for linking up with the GFC Collective this week. Hope it was successful for you and I hope to see you back next week :)
    Bre @ Peacoats and Plaid

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! YUM.

    Beautiful blog. I found you on the I Love My Friends GFC hop. I am a new follower of yours on GFC. Looking forward to more!

    Tiffany
    http://thedwellingtree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I will probably try to make this for Thanksgiving!

    Found you through blog hop, would love for you to stop by

    Kasey @ barelyfabricated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum - that sounds DELICIOUS! I love any excuse to use my KitchenAid! New Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness, yes.

    Aloha,
    Stopping by to say "hi" AND... we've got the most beautiful team hosting An Aloha Affair this week and I'd so love to have you come grow with us. 'hope to see ya soon...

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delish! I love baking, so I'll definitely be trying this. Thanks for sharing!

    Found you from the blog hop. Newest follower, girl!

    Swing by if you can!

    xo
    SEL
    growinglaughingandlovinginlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this! Can't wait to try it this season! Thanks for joining the party at Keep Calm and Link Up last week! See you again on Thursday night!
    Barbara at Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete