Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Taking the Bottle Away



Ok veteran Mommies, I need you! I just got home from taking my daughter to her 1 year Dr visit today (birthday party pics to come) and we were told no more before bed bottle feedings. Now, I am a first timer, so I need to know my options. Our routine has been solid. We live by the four Bs at night:

Bath
Bottle
Book
Bed

I know there is an issue with developing an emotional attachment to things at a young age, especially the bottle and binky. And I don't want to be a part of creating an emotionally attached child. But, she anticipates it every night. She knows it's coming after the bath. Isn't that what creating a routine is supposed to do for a child? Give them consistency and normalcy? Now I am supposed to change it, after she's gotten accustomed to it? It just doesn't seem fair to her. Many of you are probably thinking "ha...rookie." Well, yes, I am as a matter of fact. First time for everything. :) So this is me asking you for some "seasoned" advise. How did you approach this very sensitive subject? Quit cold turkey, or ween them off? Please share what you have done and any tips you recommend. I'd love to hear each and every response!!

Happy Kraftin!

4 comments:

  1. When I weened our kids off the bottle, I started with sippy cups and replaced one bottle at a time with the sippy cup. After a month or so, we were finished with bottles. Both of my kids loved their bottle, but it went ok after a day or 2. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, parents everywhere will probably yell at me, but I just stopped when I felt it was the time to stop. It was more of a gut instinct than anything else.

    Good luck w/the process!

    Visiting you from the Monday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to the Weekend Blog Walk. I was able to transition my girls by offering them a sippy cup before bed while we read books. They just needed something to drink and it didn't matter where it came from. The routine stayed the same just substituted in the sippy cups. Once they realize they could do less and get more- bottles were a done deal.

    Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once they realize they could do less and get more- bottles were a done deal.

    ReplyDelete