Friday, December 28, 2012

Udi's Gluten Free Product Review



 
 
Years ago, I didn't really even know what gluten was and only knew it as an imaginary/invisible ingredient in some foods, primarily breads. As a child I remember that my grandfather had an allergy to it as well (celiac disease-I later came to find out), and whenever we would visit them, the menu consisted of breadless meatloaf and other seemingly bland side dishes. That's pretty much the extent of my gluten knowledge, until recently. Hubby and I have been trying to stick to the Paleo (Caveman) diet for almost a full year now, and breads are not a part of our daily routine. I do miss them occasionally and will splurge about one meal per month to get my "fix" haha. As you will see in some of my past recipe posts, I haven't completely given up breads. However, after doing a little more research on gluten and what it REALLY is, I found some very useful information about it, and will more than likely adapt to a new gluten-free lifestyle.
 
"Gluten is a protein found in the grains wheat, barley, and rye. Most of us unknowingly love it, because gluten gives our favorite foods that special touch: It makes pizza dough stretchy, gives bread its spongy texture, and is used to thicken sauces and soups." www.womenshealthmag.com
You're probably thinking...how can I give that up? I love pizza!!! Those were my exact thoughts as well. Keep reading and you will be surprised.
 
Upon further research, I realized that a gluten free lifestyle can also give you this...."increased energy, thinner thighs, and reduced belly bloat." Don't we all want this? Especially after having a baby, it sounded great to me!
 
So I gave it a shot and then discovered Udi's. I was given an awesome opportunity to review some of their gluten free products and fell in love! As soon as my box came I had my eye on those snicker doodle cookies...TO DIE FOR! I couldn't believe how soft and chewy they were! And no gluten?! The ingredient that is "supposed" to give it that texture? Udi's has found a way to give you that great texture you crave, while keeping the gluten out! Needless to say, the cookies were gone within two days (between me, hubby, and my one year old of course).
 
 
After the cookies were gone, we moved onto the muffins. I have to be honest with you...I was skeptical. Double chocolate chip muffins should not be tampered with. Udi's proved me wrong once again. They were very moist and tasty, the perfect dessert or breakfast item on the go. My one year old's opinions need no words...the proof is in the picture. She picked up every last little crumb until her tray was completely clean! The hardest critics (kids) were easily pleased by Udi's products. That's a plus in my book any day of the week!



The gluten-free granola is perfect to throw in your yogurt or in a batch of homemade gluten-free cookies (future recipe to come!). I found this product to be very versatile!

I haven't tried the pizza crust yet but once I do, I will be sharing that recipe with you as well. Thanks again Udi's for allowing me the opportunity to try your products, and for opening my eyes to a new lifestyle!

Happy Kraftin!

5 comments:

  1. I'm preparing to go gluten free as well. I hope that these products are available near me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I have seen some of their products in WalMart. Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. I have digestion issues and have also thought that maybe eliminating gluten from my diet might help. My neighbor has went gluten free this year, but I have yet to ask her if she is noticing any benefits. Udi's does sound like a delicious option for those of us looking to make the switch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snickerdoodles, eh? I'm eating gluten-free this month as part of an elimination diet, and I've been craving baked goods like woah (I'm too cheap to buy seven different gluten-free flours to make them myself). My grocery store has Udi's, so I'll have to check that out tomorrow!

    Thanks for stopping by Pre-K Prep School!

    ReplyDelete