Friday, January 18, 2013

Calling All College Students

What do you think of when you hear the word college? I think of degrees, a better future, friends, football, and of course being broke. The stigma that goes along with being a college student is being poor right? All of your money is being used towards tuition, housing, food, and textbooks, along with all the other hidden costs that your high school guidance counselors neglected to share with you.

WARNING: I am about to take a few moments to brag a little about my college days, so bare with me!

I am a proud University of Florida alumni (GO GATORS!) that holds a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education and a Master's Degree in Special Education. And let me tell you, the costs were outrageous! Worth it, but OUTRAGEOUS! Even with having the Bright Future's Scholarship as a cushion, making ends meet as a college student was a tough road. I lived in a dorm my freshman year so that I could learn the ins and outs of college life. I quickly learned that buying used textbooks was the way to go. But, being in a college town, with zillions of bookstores, I had no clue which one offered the best prices. Not to mention, I knew I'd eventually had to sell them back at half the price I paid for them. Rip off!


I wish I had only known about CampusBookRentals.com. If you are currently in college and are looking for an inexpensive way to get textbooks, be sure to follow the link and check it out. Here is a brief list of the perks this company has to offer:
  • You save 40-90% off of bookstore prices
  • You get free shipping both ways
  • You can highlight in the textbooks
  • There are flexible renting periods
  • They donate to Operation Smile with each textbook rented
The last one listed was my favorite characteristic of this company! Children that suffer from cleft lip, cleft palate, and other facial deformities at birth are being helped by CampusBookRentals.com. So in the scheme of things, YOU are making an impact in these children's lives by renting from this company. For more information on Operation Smile, go here.

They also have this new program called RentBack. "RentBack is a new initiative that allows students to rent the textbooks they own to other students." This concept is amazing because it makes them 2-4x more money compared to what they'd make through buyback options--which is what I had to do when I was in college. If you are interested in more info about that, go here.

If you still aren't sold on the idea, visit their Facebook page and read a few of the testimonies from college students. I did. And I pretty much saw 100% satisfaction when reading through some of the posts. Saving that money you would have spent buying at bookstores can now be used to start paying off those student loans...which reminds me....I need to set up another payment towards mine :-/


4 comments:

  1. College textbook prices are nuts! I remember working in a bookstore and people would come in to order a book. I was floored at the prices they were paying for 1 textbook. CampusBookRentals does have a ton of books to chose from at bargain prices. I also like that when you are done using them, they will buy them back! Win Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe bookstores can get away with that! Especially when the next semester, they will probably come out with a new edition (usually pretty close to identical), completely voiding last semester's value....Crooks. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. I need to take a look. I'm finished with my classes (technically), but still enrolling in them while I work on my dissertation (because I have officially lost my mind). My husband is enrolled working on his undergrad, so I'll forward it to him too.

    BTW, I'm FSU alum., go Seminoles. hehehe

    Thanks for the great review and heads up. Anywhere to cut corners really rocks when you're paying tuition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey kudos to you and the hubs for continuing your education! Not an easy decision, and comes with lots of sacrifice! Best of luck to y'all!
      P.S. I can handle FSU fans ;)

      Delete