Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mashed Cauliflower Success!

Ok, so I have come to the realization that I have a slight obsession with cauliflower. I wouldn't say the obsession is with the actual vegetable itself, more so with finding ways to make it awesome. As a kid, I never liked cauliflower. Even as an adult. Dressing it up with butter or cheese wouldn't fool me. But I was motivated to try and find a love for it since my husband liked it so much.

steamed cauliflower
 
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mac 'n' cheese...probably more than my 14 month old daughter does. More than anyone I know. When hubby and I cut out pasta and breads from our diet over a year ago, I just had to find a way to bring the comforts of mac 'n' cheese back into our home. So I used cauliflower to replace the pasta...and kept the same ingredients. You can find that recipe here.

After much success with that...I couldn't stop. What else do you think of when you crave good southern soul food? Mashed 'taters of course! Going for the healthier option, I cut out the potatoes and used steamed cauliflower instead. However I would normally make mashed potatoes, I pretty much mimicked the recipe for the most part, or you can just use what you happen to have on hand at the time. I used: (don't laugh at my measurements---that's the awesome thing about this dish is there is no right or wrong)
  • a little butter
  • splash of milk
  • couple spoon fulls of sour cream
  • parmesan cheese
  • the rest of our shredded cheese for the top
  • garlic powder
  • salt/pepper
  • and my favorite ingredient: Cavender's Seasoning
Make them how creamy or dry, and as chucky or smooth as you'd like. I like a little chunk to my mashed taters so I didn't completely puree them. (You can puree, put in the blender, use a mixer, or use a hand-held potato masher...whatever you have.)



Be generous with the seasonings because cauliflower tends to be very bland. If you haven't tried Cavender's Greek Seasoning, you must! I love it on eggs and anything starchy/filling.
Best Seasoning EVER (I use it on almost everything)
I popped it in the oven (uncovered) for about 20 minutes on 350 just to get everything all warm and gooey. If you attempt it, please let me know how it turns out, and any variations of ingredients you used. I am always on the hunt for new cauliflower uses. :)

After scooping out the deliciousness
Happy Kraftin!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Ryan and I love that Greek seasoning too!! Mix tomatoes, green onions, feta, olive oil, and the Cavender's....OMG, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one who does love cauliflower. I buy it all the time to cut up and keep at arms reach for snacking on throughout the day. However, I have never tried mashed cauliflower. You dish does look very tempting!

    ReplyDelete