Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tribute to Stay at Home Moms

I realized I never "officially" announced here that I decided not to go back to the classroom after three years of teaching. Since having my daughter, I felt the need to stay at home with her and raise her myself. My husband was completely on board with the idea too.  Here's a brief synopsis of the transformation:

I had my maternity leave time with her (which just wasn't long enough!) and returned to work to finish out the school year (this was last year). Since the hubs is a firefighter, one of the perks of his job is the schedule! He works a 24 hour shift, then is off for 48 hours. It was so easy to line up shift swaps with other guys at his station, that way we never had to put our little monkey in daycare. It was manageable for a few months just so I could finish out the year, but there would be no way we could swing that for an entire school year.

Before I returned to work (last year) I had already launched my little hobby/side business. Everyone has been encouraging me to do it for years and I finally got the nerve to do it. It was slow to start, which was good because I had a newborn at home. Over the summer, business picked up and we made the decision for me to stay home with her. (YES!!!!)


So here we are now, sacrificing a lot financially to give our daughter what we feel is the best. In our minds, it is so worth it! No one will love and care for your child, like you. Grandparents would be the next best thing, but they all still work, so that wouldn't have panned out. Being a stay at home mom, comes with a stereotype I have quickly come to find out. I actually now consider myself a work at home mom since I am making some money here and there from etsy and blogging. I have seen some describe "our kind" as lazy, couch dwelling recluses that sit around watching soaps and eating bon bons. Or we are the do-it-all-Debbies out there that clean a house from top to bottom, wearing an apron and heels, with freshly prepared meals on the table everyday. Or how about having a wide open schedule that allows you to attend every party, function, and event going on during the week? Doesn't quite describe you? What I want to know is, where are the kids in those descriptions? I don't know about any of you with kids, but how is it even remotely possible to watch anything on TV that isn't animated or contain a rhyming song every 30 seconds while your kids are around? Now I only have one child, for now, so parents doing it with multiple kids, you get an extra medal of honor for this, but preparing homemade Betty Crocker cookbook meals everyday isn't ideal for us. Some days Stauffer's comes to my rescue, am I right? Sure there are days I love to break out my Kitchen Aid mixer and whip up some homemade goodies, but it's not everyday. And my schedule...don't get me started on that one...people think that stay at home moms have all the time in the world. I have had the opportunity to be in both the working world, and the stay at home mom world. When comparing the two, I find myself busier AT HOME! Maybe it's because I do have my little side business keeping me up until at least 11pm almost every night. But I can't stand when people think I have all the time in the world. What's up with the assumptions out there? I am too busy doing laundry, cleaning up toys, making meals, going to the park, changing diapers, kissing boo-boos, clipping coupons, grocery shopping, walking the dog, budgeting, working on orders, changing diapers, changing diapers, changing diapers....and I remind myself daily, that this is just with one. It's only going to get busier. And I accept that challenge with grace! I have always wanted a big family, I am one of five kids myself and love my brothers and sisters!

I love my life. I love the challenges that it brings. I love the fact that I get to watch my daughter grow everyday. I love that my husband supports me and everything I do. I love my hobby-turned-business. I love being a Mom. I love that I can fall back on the Lord and ask for His help when things get too hard. I love my life.

Moms are some of the hardest workers I know, and they don't get enough credit for it. So today, I commemorate all the stay at home AND work at home moms. We all work at home, some of us just may not get paid for it. You are appreciated by your children, even if they don't show it yet, and by other stay at home moms that know exactly how you feel. I also commemorate the working moms out there too...for having the strength. courage, and trust to leave your kids with someone else. I am sure it is one of the most difficult things you had to do. I know Mother's Day isn't for a while, but I was feeling like the Moms out there needed an early pick me up! Happy (early) Mother's Day!


 
For my Mom--"I love you Mom and appreciate all you did, and continue to do for us today! I hope that some day I can be the kind of Mom you are to me."

Happy Kraftin!

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand the battle of working vs non working moms. I wish we all could just agree that we know what's best for our families, working or not. I've done both. When my kids were little, I actually thought being at home with them was harder than working. Now that they are older, I find I am way more stressed out when I have to go to work (I don't have to work, but my husband will pull me into his company to work from time to time). My kids needs seem to increase the older they get- from taking them to school functions, helping with homework, after school activities, ect. Then household chores need to be done and dinner on the table. Add working into that, I am beat at the end of the day!

    Kudos to you for staying at home with your daughter. You are right. No one will ever take better care of your child than you. Quitting my job was the best decision I ever made for our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Theresa, I don't get the battle either. And you are right, as moms we do know what's best for our family and should be able to make those decisions without criticism and stereotype. Thanks for the kind words. :) Looks like I have lots to look forward to once she enters school!

      Delete
  2. I hope that when I have children I'll be able to stay at home with them as well! You can never get those years back! I have so much respect for mothers of all kinds- working, stay at home, whatever works for you and your family. Being a mom is the most important job in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to stay home with them too! Especially those first few crucial years! They can learn soooo much during that time and I'm so fortunate to be the one teaching her all I can.

      Delete